Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Homeschool x 25: The Tsunami School

Located near Uppuvelli and set back 40 meters from the beach, I stumbled upon this school on my daily walk down the white sands in the early hours of the morning. The school was completely destroyed by the 2004 tsunami and rebuilt. I asked if I could teach a class there and they kindly invited me in.

Thanks to a generous donation by my man Kelly Rapko that allowed this class to happen.

This is a pic of the main alleyway that many of the children have to walk through each morning. Right before this alley is the tsunami cemetery, a harsh reminder of the destruction that took place in 2004.

The gates to the school


A view from the third floor of the school and the ocean in sight.

Rebuilt with help from the Norwegians. Maybe instead of a 16 billion dollar fighter jet purchase, the Canadian government could help out a bit more abroad, or even better, give more financial assistance to educational programs at home.



Inside the school. Every time I walked in the kids would stand up until I asked them to sit down.


The classroom teacher trying her hand at some of the art.

I pretty sure that she had the most fun out of the entire class





The teachers were very friendly and outgoing. The principal seemed like a dude not to mess with (centre)

Kit kat? Not in Sri Lanka, the kids wanted Chit-Chat and gel candies. They got a sack full of both.

The class. I had a lot of fun and it was a nice way to spend a Sri Lankan afternoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment