Monday, February 20, 2012

Saskatchewan to Sri Lanka

I wanted to paste these photos in locations that displayed a sharp contrast between the pristine landscapes of Saskatchewan and the gritty streets of Sri Lanka. The first photo was pasted in the former Tamil Tiger stronghold of Jaffna, which is bombed out and still shows the effects of 30 years of civil war.


Ripped up my shirt to move the razor sharp wire, but was needed to capture the entire scene.



I pasted this photo in the early hours of the morning when most of these men were coming back from their nightly fishing expeditions. They were a friendly bunch and it came as a surprise when I returned later in the day to grab a better photo and my photo was gone.



When I showed back up, the crew could sense my disappointment that the photo was gone. I understand thats part of the game and I was about to leave when they called me back over and told me to follow them. They took me to where they keep the holy objects for the temple next door. Inside was the peacock, picture of the Gods and my photo. Very humbling experience.

Located in the slums of Colombo and across the tracks from where I taught a class, I found this wall which was one of the few that remained standing in the neighbourhood.




I saw this building from a far and thought that the bullet holes and dilapidated walls were an unique setting and would enhance the photograph. Turns out the building was some kind of police barracks where the cops live, sleep and shower while on duty. The chief of the unit gave me a hand.




Back streets of Colombo



This guy stayed here for a good 15 minutes sipping on his coffee and checking out the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment