Sunday, April 24, 2011

Homeschool x 10: Longos, The Garbage Dump

In a decaying society, art if it is truthful, must also reflect decay.
And unless it wants to break faith with its social function,
Art must also show the world as changeable.
And help to change it.
-Ernst Fischer

Driving on the highway passed south of Manila, I caught this place out of the corner of my eye.
Determined to see what it was like I returned a week later to explore the entire garbage dump.
Needless to say I left this place being thankful for so many things in my life.

The people were polite and interested in what I was doing. I thank them for
letting me into their lives and showing me the conditions they live in.



When a fresh load of trash comes, people get right down to business and try and find the best materials for resale.




Some of the houses the people live in. During the day it can get over +35. These makeshift houses provide the only protection from the heat.



After a long day of working these two young girls make the trek back to their homes.





A small portion of the people who live and work at the dump.

I gave this kid a polaroid picture of himself. He was quite pleased and confused at what he saw.


There is only one way other than a boat to get to the garbage dump from the mainland. This raft is made out of discarded pieces of styrofoam tied together with plastic. A rope is used to guide the captain of the raft across the water. In the lower right hand corner is a present awaiting an unlucky passenger.


Rove was all up in the class, but no Theory
.
Anything and everything was used to draw on, including hoods of vehicles



The class. Very well behaved and artistically gifted.

The spaghetti was a hit once again


No comments:

Post a Comment